Wednesday, August 8, 2012


How I Spent My Summer Vacation


I spent my July teaching harmonica to this spirited group of 8 year olds at the Jumoke Academy/Hartford Conservatory Summer Program. Twice a week for 45 minutes for 4 weeks (one week without harmonicas! Boy, did I have to dig into my bag of tricks for those two classes.)We could play a train that would  make Freeman Stowers quit playing harmonica!

At the end of the four weeks there was "Encore Week" where select instructors taught a small group for an entire day.Six hours of me and half a dozen 10-12 year olds.I knew a little amplified harmonica and guitar time would go a long way. 





I earned my $$ and scraped my toe playing hide and go seek. (I'm a pretty exciting guy, but even I can't keep kids entertained with the harmonica for that long. We took some basketball and hide and go seek breaks) Two other kids suffered some cuts too, it was intense hide and go seek, so we wrote a Blues song about cuts. These kids made Blues changes like Honeyboy Edwards, add to that my dubious guitar playing while trying to keep things going (I can't walk and chew gum at the same time) so it's a little loose but the kids DUG it.

1 comment:

  1. That is one of the coolest things I've ever heard.

    ReplyDelete